GUYS this might be my favorite meal that I've ever created, it's insane! So I've been plant-based for almost three years now, eating mainly vegetarian/vegan plant-based meals… Over the course of my journey there have definitely been a handful of times where I've gone out to dinner and ordered a cheesy pasta dish, although I've mainly stayed away from dairy for the most part, but it wasn't until recently that I officially gave up eggs in particular. Anyways, the moral of the story is that even after eating primarily vegan for quite some time now, especially within the past year, I still remember the taste of cheesy meals.
Now whenever I'm craving pasta I always create a plant-based, whole ingredient dish at home, and tonight I was inspired to cook up some CHEEZY LASAGNA, cashew cheese that is… So I did exactly that, it was absolutely AMAZING and tasted like real cheesy, not-so-healthy, but get this - IT WAS PACKED WITH FIBER, PROTEIN, whole plant ingredients, zero gluten, and zero dairy! Totally nutritious and delicious!
Okay so here's how I did it:
- You'll need a cup full of cashews, soaked in water for a few hours
- Minced garlic or pure garlic powder, I use Simply Organic Pure Garlic Powder
- Plant-based pasta of your choice, I used Explore Cuisine's Organic Red Lentil Penne
- Marinara of choice, my favorite is Mezzetta Whole Garlic & Sweet Basil, made in Italy with whole tomatoes, organic olive oil, whole garlic cloves (literally in the sauce), and organic whole basic leaves
- Nutritional yeast
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt for taste
- Vital Proteins Collagen (optional, no flavor, just added benefits)
- In a pot, boil one cup of red lentil penne for 10 minutes or so
- In a blender add, soaked cashews, a couple splashes of almond milk, little bit of nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and Himalayan sea salt for taste - blend until smooth, hummus like consistency
- Once your pasta is done boiling, strain, and add to a baking dish, then cover the top in "cashew cheese" followed by marinara on top - bake for about 10-15 minutes and VOILA, the tastiest and healthiest Vegan lasagna on the block!
I'm still in shock at how much the cashew cheese tasted like real cheese… The perfect comfort food dish without the guilt!
Oh and just to clarify, because I know I will get some spectacle about this, while I do consider myself Vegan, I also still take fish oil pills for extra omegas and use Vital Proteins Marine Collagen in a lot of my mixtures, so I guess I'm technically a pescatarian? Zero chance I'll ever again put any meat/dairy in my body, but I'm also not super into labels, do what works for you and makes your body happy!